3 Gotchas with WSL 2 around Disk Space, Memory Usage and Performance
In this video, we'll identify and go over how to fix 3 different WSL 2 issues that'll likely cause you trouble over time.
Quick Jump: Going Over Everything
As of July 2020, it’s easy to get in a situation where WSL 2 will eat up all of your disk space, use 80% of your memory and get poor file I/O performance when accessing mounted drives.
We’ll go over how to address all of these issues below. Everything we’ll go over will work for all editions of Windows 10.
Going Over Everything
- 0:30 – Combating poor file performance in WSL 2 when accessing mounted drives
- 2:38 – Ensuring WSL 2 doesn’t use up to 80% of your system’s memory
- 6:17 – Clearing out WSL 2’s memory usage on demand with a Bash alias
- 8:21 – Reclaiming disk space that WSL 2’s VM won’t free up by default
- 10:12 – Be careful because WSL 2 won’t auto-mount your external drives
- 12:56 – How to shrink your WSL 2 VM to reclaim disk space in PowerShell
- 18:10 – An alternative to the Optimize-VHD command on Windows 10 Home
- 19:10 – Recap and hopefully Microsoft fixes these issues in future WSL 2 patches
Are you aware of any other gotchas with WSL 2? Let me know below.